About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DB August challenge: Eclairs!

My second month as a Daring Baker brought another tasty challenge: homemade eclairs. The rules were simple: make the homemade pastry and choose either chocolate glaze, chocolate filling or both. I went with chocolate glaze and made a vanilla cream filling. These little babies were a huge hit with my family - everyone received a little box of the finished product.

Making the dough was pretty simple, but as I watched them in the oven, I was worried they weren't puffing up enough. In the end, they were perfect but I had to bake them a little longer than the recipe said so that they were nice and golden brown.

I halved the chocolate sauce that goes into the glaze and still had more than enough for the glaze recipe. But I did have to make more vanilla cream to fill all the eclairs. In the end, I had some leftover so I improvised. I had some Phyllo in the fridge so I layered it in muffin cups and baked it until crisp and brown. I then piped in some vanilla cream, sprinkled it with cinnamon, drizzled it with Greek honey and finished the whole thing off with a couple toasted walnuts. Not unlike the Greek Galaktaboureko, Jeff gobbled these down as quickly as the eclairs...


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails