About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Friday, September 10, 2010

Is it a muffin or is it a doughnut?

DSC_0111

Now that I've adjusted (more or less) to rising in the wee hours when our wee one is hungry, I find that the early morning is a fabulous time to cook. My husband also seems pretty happy about it. Last weekend, Saturday morning found me up at 5:30. With the sun just rising and cool temperatures, it seemed like the perfect time to make muffins.

Often on Saturdays, we visit the local bakery in Scotch Plains: the Suisse Pastry Shop. They have the BEST old-fashioned glazed donuts and really good apple fritters, among countless other tasty delights. These muffins taste a bit like those donuts and they're super easy to make. I'm also hoping they're a bit healthier! Another benefit: they make your house smell almost as good as the pastry shop.

DSC_0095

Donut muffins
adapted from Williams-Sonoma Muffins

7 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

For the topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 9 muffin cups with foil liners, or grease 9 of the cups.

Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat until pale and smooth.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Add half to the butter mixture, then add the buttermilk, combining well after each addition. Add the remaining flour mixture and stir until just evenly moistened - the batter will be lumpy.

Spoon into the muffin cups and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling until cool enough to handle.

To finish, stir together the cinnamon and sugar in a dish and melt the butter in a separate dish. Dip each muffin top in the butter then press it in the sugar.

Makes 9 muffins.

DSC_0086

7 comments:

jana@cherryteacakes.com said...

oh this sounds interesting. i love donuts!

Gigabiting said...

I grew up on donut muffins. They have been floating around for a while. You can get excellent ones at Ferry Plaza Farmers Market in SF. But of course homemade is oh so much better!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

I love donuts but have never had donut muffins. They look great, I'm so bookmarking them, thanks for sharing!

Nicole@The Dirty Oven via twitter @ovenloving said...

Yummy. These look great. I am not a big donut fan as I feel they are too heavy, but love muffins. So going to have to try this. Reminds me of a snickerdoodle.
Thanks for sharing.

Eileen said...

I am going to have to try these! I love donuts. They look awesome.

Unknown said...

They do look fantastic and there's nothing like the house smelling like cinnamon and baked goods. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I can almost smell these through the computer. How amazing they must taste. You must have a very happy hubby when he wakes up to these!

Related Posts with Thumbnails