About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Monday, April 19, 2010

Chunky Banana Bran Muffins

banana-muffins (3)

I hate wasting things so when I have leftover bananas that are overripe, they have to find their way into some sort of baked good. These chunky muffins are perfect: they use up any leftover bananas I have around the house and they're loaded with bran, nuts, raisins and all sorts of good stuff. The banana keeps them moist for a few days so they're great for breakfast on the go.

What's your favorite recipe to use up extra fruit you have around? Leave a comment and let me know!

Chunky Banana Bran Muffins

1 ½ c. bran flakes
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
½ c. milk
1 egg
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 c. all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
¼ c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
½ c. raisins (optional)
1/3 c. chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°.

Grease or line 12 muffin cups.

banana-muffins

Combine cereal, banana, milk, egg and oil in a bowl and mix well. Let stand 5 minutes; stir to break up cereal. Add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir until just mixed. Stir in nuts and raisins.

Divide evenly among prepared baking cups. Bake 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Makes 12.

6 comments:

Nova Walsh said...

These look great! I like to make Banana Bread muffins when I have leftover bananas too - I love the idea of using bran flakes. I'll have to try this recipe next time I have some bananas in the house!

Anonymous said...

These look tasty! Thanks for sharing.

SashaInTheKitchen said...

Nice post - they really look terrific - Love good muffins like these

Cinda said...

They look so good! I've just bought some bananas too.

ChristinaH said...

I have three super-ripe bananas left after making a banana cake last night. Will your recipe a try.

Lady Amalthea said...

I made these last night and they were great! I added some banana liqueur to add to the banana taste.

http://noshesthoughtsreves.blogspot.com/2011/01/chunky-banana-bran-muffins.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails