About Recipes Restaurants FAQ My Kitchen My Kitchen

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Fresh, simple, pretty prosciutto

Last night we had steaks for dinner with grilled ramps and some potatoes. I wanted to make a first course with a little pizazz (and not a lot of effort). I found a recipe in Neil Perry's Good Food for Prosciutto with tomato and bread salsa. It looked pretty and easy so I gave it a whirl. It was delicious and very eye-catching. I'll definitely make this again for a dinner party.

As I so often do, I made a few modifications to the recipe. My version follows. I will note that Chef Perry called for parsley and not basil and sourdough breadcrumbs. Lacking sourdough, I had some pocketless Greek pita so I dried one in the oven and then crushed it with my handy rolling pin.


Prosciutto with Tomato bread salsa

Serve 2 (can easily be increased for more people)
  • 8-10 paper thin slices of prosciutto
  • 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
  • about 5 basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (use homemade - store bought are too fine. you want just a little chunkiness)
  • 1 Tbsp. tomato juice (just squeeze a chunk of tomato)
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Extra Virgin olive oil
  • sea salt
  • fresh ground black pepper

Arrange the prosciutto on two plates. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, breadcrumbs, basil and tomato juice. Add a splash of red wine vinegar and a lite drizzle of olive oil. Stir to combine, then add salt and pepper to taste. Scoop the tomato salsa into the center of each plate.

Couldn't be any easier!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails